The value of keeping one's home and personal spaces tidy is undeniable. The same line of reasoning holds for commercial properties and locations as well. Safe and healthy workplaces require proper cleaning. If the office is not kept clean, it can become a hotspot for the spread of disease-causing bacteria and pose a significant threat to the health of all workers employed there. A well-kept workplace has been shown to increase both efficiency and employee satisfaction. The importance of keeping your workplace in good condition increases severalfold if your company's clients visit the location frequently.
With that in mind, here you can find the best advice on how to keep your office clean and tidy.
- Create An Office Maintenance Plan
A plan for office upkeep and maintenance is essential to keep your space running smoothly. Ideally, the plan should mention what maintenance tasks are required, how often they should be done, and how much they will cost. For starters, schedule a monthly walk-through of your workplace and review the space for necessary repairs. Doing this will allow you to spot things like loose doorknobs, broken light bulbs, and dents or scratches on the floor before they become safety hazards.
Also, invest in good quality commercial cleaning chemicals to keep your office spotless. Luckily, cleaning product suppliers like Continental Research Corporation provide the best products to make the toughest maintenance jobs much easier. Here are a few basics to stay on top of your office maintenance:
- Check appliances for electrical faults.
- Change old, faulty wall switches and flickering light bulbs.
- Repaint scuffed walls and replace loose door hinges.
- Unclog basement floor drains and fix dripping taps.
- Get your HVAC system serviced twice a year, once in the spring for the air conditioner and once in the fall for the heater.
- Clean Daily, Weekly, Monthly, And Bi-Annually
You might choose to clean the office every day or stick to a weekly cleaning schedule depending on several criteria, including the facility's size and the employees' work schedules. Monthly and seasonal duties can include cleaning hard-to-reach crevices and certain specialized tasks like removing carpet stains or cleaning HVAC vents before summer AC or winter heating.
- Pick up litter from the ground and throw it in the wastebasket.
- Empty trash cans and replace garbage bags.
- Sweep and wet-mop all the floors.
- Sprinkle water or a disinfectant spray on a microfiber cloth to clean desks, tables, and chairs.
- Wipe smears and fingerprints off all glass surfaces.
- Wash dirty dishes and disinfect kitchen counters.
- Clean the inside of the microwave at least once daily.
- Wipe down restroom sinks and counters.
- Dust the furniture in the lobby. Put the reading material (books, magazines, pamphlets, brochures) in a neat stack on a shelf.
- Remove old, spoiled food from the fridge.
- Clean your pantry utensils and equipment.
- Replace dish sponges and towels.
- Unload your dishwasher and run a wash cycle.
- Scrub the toilet bowls with a brush and disinfectant cleaners to get rid of germs. Once you're done cleaning the seat, wipe it down. Apply the same method to the sink and counter.
- Wipe smudges and dust off workstations, shelves, cabinets, and cubicle walls.
- Use germicidal wipes to disinfect phones, PCs, monitors, keyboards, and other electronics in the office.
- Clean all wall-mounted objects such as toilet roll holders, soap dispensers, towel rails, and tumblers.
- Use a floor machine or burnisher to remove scuff and heel marks and restore the glossy ‘wet look’ of hard surface floors.
- Clean and polish all wooden furniture to make it look new again.
- Remove all previous coats of floor finish.
- Spray buff or burnish to bring back that "like-new" sheen.
- Clean your central air conditioner’s condensate drain line with bleach to prevent clogging and kill any algae or mildew that has formed in the pipe.
- Scour rugs, mats, carpets, and upholstery for stubborn stains.
- Make Sure Your Employees Keep The Office Space Tidy
Ensure that your company’s workplace hygiene policy stipulates that each employee is responsible for keeping their workstation and surrounding areas clean and tidy. In the wake of the pandemic, the cleanliness policy must also call for minimizing clutter on the desk, cleaning frequently touched surfaces, and using clean wipes, sanitizers, and tissues as part of personal hygiene in the workplace.
Loose papers clutter desks quickly. When they are done with a paper document, the staff must put it away in an organizer or filing cabinet. In addition, they should place rubbish in a trash can rather than on floors or carpets.
While the janitors will take care of more extensive cleaning duties, such as disinfecting the restroom, washing the floors, and refilling paper towels and soap supplies, doing something as easy as rinsing away soap residue from the sinks, disposing of used paper towels, or wiping soap residue off the faucet before leaving the bathroom will go a long way toward maintaining a clean and orderly restroom.
- Seek Professional Help If Necessary
Hiring experienced and skilled cleaners might free up a lot of your time. In most cases, professional cleaners have access to more potent cleaning supplies and, along with their expertise, can bring about a greater level of cleanliness.
To get the most out of your collaboration with a cleaning company:
- Start by sharing detailed information about your area, its needs, desired outcomes, and top priorities.
- Plan a walk-through, make a list of what needs to be done, decide on a timeline, and talk about any trouble spots.
- Schedule a follow-up visit after service has begun, as it may take up to two weeks for the provider to get a feel for your premises.
In addition, make it a habit to communicate regularly with your service providers. This way, you can promptly address any issues that may arise due to unexpected changes in the employees’ shift timings, corporate events, or special occasions.
A crowded workplace with many people working at once is bound to get disorganized and messy. With the systematic approach of the tips mentioned above, you’ll not only be able to maintain a clean and sanitary office space but also save time and money.
partnered post • image by fauxels at Pexels