The polar ice caps are melting, and the ozone layer is depleting because of climate change. According to the UN, global warming is a current defining crisis endangering many species. It is a race that humans must win.
No corner of the globe is immune to the effects of climate change. Therefore, we must divert our energy to maintaining a sustainable lifestyle and focus on incorporating environment-friendly practices. A green lifestyle means efficiently utilize resources and reduce costs.
Advantages of a greener house
People think that a green lifestyle is uncomfortable. However, modern construction techniques and technology have made sustainable living a possibility. Furthermore, it can increase savings and empower individuals to make a difference in environmental crises. A green home reduces operating costs while making housing thermally comfortable. Additionally, greener houses are more durable and last longer since most of the building materials are natural.
Homeowners can do a lot to make their houses environmentally efficient. Listed below are seven changes you can make for a more eco-friendly home. Most of these suggestions are eco, budget, and time-friendly.
- Use LED bulbs: Energy-efficient bulbs make a lot of difference to the bottom line. A popular choice is LED bulbs. These light-emitting diode bulbs use 75% less energy than regular bulbs. Furthermore, LEDs last longer than standard bulbs. So, they are the best option for an environmentally conscientious homeowner.
- Maintain your air conditioner: Air conditioners are a modern necessity, but they can negatively impact the environment. Research suggests that roughly one-fourth of global warming results from inefficient air conditioning. Older models emit harmful gases that break down the ozone layer and increase global warming. Whereas, energy star models half your energy bill. Therefore make the switch as soon as possible. But, do not forget to get 20x20x1 HVAC Filters to keep your home’s atmosphere clean and pure.
- Make better choices in your kitchen: A sustainable attitude in the kitchen can do a lot for your pocket and the environment. Fortunately, most of these choices require your time and effort. A significant thing to do is to invest in durable and long-lasting cookware. Stainless steel and cast iron are the best options. Try to limit the purchase of pre-packaged and processed food; instead, go for organic produce. Not only are such products unhealthy, but they are also harmful to the environment. Buying local products is the way to go as it decreases food miles.
- Use homemade cleaning products: Natural cleaning products work just as well as the ones from the shop. Most commercial cleaners are full of toxic substances that have a negative long-term effect on the environment. Furthermore, some people might be allergic to certain synthetic chemicals. Comparatively, organic cleaning products are environment friendly and are also safer and cheaper. You can make your homemade cleaning agent with the contents of your pantry. Take a three-fourth cup of hydrogen peroxide. Mix it with a half cup of white vinegar, one teaspoon liquid soap, ten drops of tea tree oil, and two water cups. Add some lavender oil for a lasting scent. Then mix the ingredients into a spray bottle, and you are good to go.
- Change your bin system: Reuse, reduce, and recycle are the three primary ways people can reduce their carbon footprint. However, no one likes to make the extra effort to separate the recyclables from the general waste. Getting a recycle bin can make you more conscious about making better choices. A compost container can also help utilize kitchen trash efficiently. There are many benefits to composting, including better soil quality and reducing plant diseases. And do not worry about the smell. The compost bins of today are odor-free and easy to clean.
- Get window treatments: Despite keeping windows closed and the HVAC on, houses turn into ovens in the summers and refrigerators in the winters. But worry not, as there is an easy way to control the temperature of your house. Drapes and shades can make your home environmentally friendly. Not only do curtains make your home stylish, but they also save energy. Therefore, updating your shutters and curtains can save energy and reduce energy costs.
Leading an eco-friendly lifestyle is all about making better choices in your house and your life. An environmentally friendly existence can improve human lives and reduce waste. Furthermore, it saves energy and money. We must conserve our planet and leave a better one for the future generation. Do your part by making better choices in your life.
partnered post • cc-licensed image from Pixabay