Electricity is something you rely on every day but probably don’t spend much time thinking about it. That is until you have an issue with it. Then you’ll need to quickly contact your local Sydney electrician and get the problem sorted.
It’s important to note that electrical issues in the home are still one of the most common causes of house fires. You may be surprised to discover that over 50 people die every year from house fires. These are generally avoidable and even preventable. That’s why it's so important to have an annual electrical inspection and catch problems early.
Here are 5 signs that you have faulty wiring at home and need professional help:
1. Flickering Lights
Flickering lights are great when you’re creating a Halloween setting or even want a good house party. However, they are a sign that something is wrong with the electrical wiring. In most cases, flickering lights mean there is either a bad connection or the wiring is damaged. This is causing the power to spark across the wires and the light to flicker.
It’s important to get it seen to promptly.
2. Tripping Circuit Breakers
Circuit breakers are designed to trip when there is a fault on the circuit. They work extremely fast and shut the power down, reducing the risk of an electrical fire. If the circuit breaker is regularly tripping you have an issue on the circuit that needs further investigation.
It could be that you’re overloading the circuit and the excess power draw is causing the breaker to trip. However, if plugging some items in elsewhere doesn’t help then you probably have a wiring issue.
3. Burning Odors
Burning odors is perhaps the most obvious and concerning of the signs that you have an electrical wiring issue. The odor occurs because the cables are getting too hot; When this occurs the outer protective sheath will start to melt, creating the distance aroma. As the sheath melts the wires are capable of touching each other, causing short circuits, power outages, and fires.
4. Discoloration of Sockets
Alongside the odor, it’s normal to find that sockets and light switches are becoming discolored. This is because the heat is damaging the plastic, discoloring it as it warms it. It can even cause it to change shape.
If you see discoloration on your sockets it could be a bad connection into the socket, or it’s a wiring issue. You’ll need to avoid using that socket until a professional has assessed it.
5. Buzzing, Fizzing, or Electric Shocks
Any strange noise in your electrical system should be treated as a bad sign. Buzzing and fizzing is a sign that the electrical current is moving between wires or to another conductive object nearby. It suggests the protective sheath is damaged and needs prompt treatment.
If the wires are sparking between them then it’s likely you’ll get a small electric shock when you operate the switch or plug something in. Act quickly – it’s likely to get worse.
partnered post • cc-licensed image by Kevin Faccenda