Homes across America suffer from a similar problem: a severe lack of organization. Missing items amongst clutter seems to be a natural byproduct of a busy life. Unfortunately, it’s this same clutter that causes disorganization and leads us to feel stressed out and anxious. Taking steps to practice the chores we commonly avoid is the best way to help overcome this stress and add more efficiency to our lives. A great place to start re-organizing your home is your kitchen or bathroom. Starting with a spice rack, kitchen cabinet or under your bathroom sink can be a good small project to practice the basics of clearing out clutter and resorting that soap or spice you never remembered to open. For the purposes of this post we’re going to focus on practicing under-sink organization. Sorting through the area underneath your sink can help you leverage space and spur convenience in your home fast!
For most people, one of the messiest and most disorganized places in the house is the cabinet under their sink, both in the kitchen and in the bathroom. And while it is easier to leave your under-sink cabinet left to disarray, it will make most of your day-to-day tasks much more stressful. From staring down a sea of colored bottles, cans and scrubs, to blindly reaching into the back of your sink cabinet, spilling canister after canister in the process, only to grab the wrong bottle again and again. Getting your cabinets under control and properly organized is something we can all benefit from.
The first thing you’ll notice when you approach organizing your under sink cabinet is that space is limited in under-sink cabinets, which means it’s easy to tackle, and there are so many cool products and smart DIY projects that help you organize your under-sink cabinet and actually make it fun.
To start de stressing and start organizing, try the seven tips below.
Seven Under Sink Organization Tips
- Storage Containers: Storage containers do a lot of the hard work when it comes to under kitchen sink organization. But, the key is making sure that each container has a designated use. Otherwise, you’ll end up with messy containers! It’s also fun to think outside of the (storage) box. What other items can you use to keep your under-sink clutter contained? Things like recycled aluminum cans, coffee mugs, and baskets can keep your organized under sink area from feeling boring and dull. And, as another bonus, you have a lot of great storage containers you can use all around your home already — you just have to get creative!
- Rethink Curtain Hardware: Installing a curtain rod under your sink might seem like a strange idea, but it’s actually one of the smartest under bathroom sink organization ideas you’ll find. A simple tension rod is easy to install, and it allows you to organize all sorts of clutter — from towels to bottles of cleaning products. You can also use the hardware from curtain kits to create handy trash bag holders. All you need is a small wooden dowel and the hardware!
- Label Storage Bins: By labeling storage bins you can prepare your cabinets and space for your space for when you need products most. You can make labeling fun too! There are lots of creative ways to make labels, including magnets, using a chalkboard paint and garden signs.
- Add a Spice Rack: Spice racks are another fun and cleave under sink organization idea because they are super versatile. Installing a spice rack on the inside of your cabinet door can help you organize your space, keeping a lot of the small items that can easily get lost right within reach.
- Add a Lazy Susan: Adding a lazy susan organizer in your cabinet is one of our favorites under sink organization ideas. Because they’re so convenient, you can quickly find and put back any of the items you use — and without any searching or digging.
- Be Practical: Know your space limit and try to only carry the essential products you need under your sink to limit risk and exposure. Many cleaners contain chemicals that damage and erode the wood base under your sink, so try to only carry what you need. Less is more, be practical about your cleaning products.
While you’re organizing your under your sink cabinet you should also consider investing in a high quality under sink cabinet mat from Xtreme Mats. An under sink mat is like an insurance policy against leaks for a low one-time payment. Under sink mats offer the best overall protection soap, old, dust and water leaks while also helping stack, set and arrange your under sink products. And, thanks to their lifetime warranty, you can be sure that the investment lasts. So get to re-organizing today and while you’re at it, check out an under sink mat too.
partnered post • client images