Unlike some other animals that can live outside of the house, most dog owners prefer that their pets live mainly inside.
Although this might sound adorable having everyone in one place, it does lead to some issues – the biggest being training.
“As you can presume, things can go really wrong,” says puppy training specialist Lene Kaufmann.
No matter what type of a training you choose, there are a lot of rules you need to follow. In fact, it is common for people to make mistakes on their first try.
Luckily with this article Lene Kaufmann will try to prevent you from making too many of them.
Let’s check some cool tips that will help you with your dog training.
- Before anything else, it is necessary to consider dog’s breed. Different breeds have different temperaments and behave different in certain situations. Some of them will have more energy, others will be better with kids etc. For example if you have a small dog, this means you will have to walk him more often during potty training making the entire process more tedious.
- Next, you need to think about dog’s age. While puppies can be influenced while young, they become less affected with older age. As they say “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks”. If you truly wish to teach an older dog something, there will be a long road ahead of you.
- Now that you considered basics stuff regarding training, you need to think about your role. Like with educating a child, it is necessary to be strict, disciplined and consistent. There shouldn’t be any mixed messages of any kind as the dog can easily be confused. You need to create a routine which you will stick to no matter what. Any changes can affect the animal.
- Besides patience and consistence, it is also necessary to show a lot of love. Dog takes in the emotions and while it cannot understand your speech, it can understand your mood and mannerisms. If it senses you are satisfied, it will also be happy.
- With that being said, it is necessary to avoid any type of punishment. Mistakes will be made no matter how you look at it. But you shouldn’t react extremely by shouting or beating a dog. Instead, you need a command like “no” that will tell a dog it isn’t ok what its doing.
- Make sure you have one and the same command for an action. It is also ok to add a hand or body movement in order to augment it. But no matter what you do, you shouldn’t use several different commands for the same thing. This can only confuse a dog. This rules applies on everyone within the household, on people who are teaching him how to potty etc.
- If a dog messes up things, do not pet it. This will again send a bad message and the dog will think that such behavior is acceptable
- Treats are another thing that needs to be considered. They shouldn’t be your regular dog food. Instead, make sure to find something that dog truly loves and treat him in cases he does something good during the training. This will bring exclusivity and it will make your dog more inclined to listen.
- Training should always be done in one and the same space. Dogs have strong senses and can easily remember a place. They will also connect training to this space. If you take it someplace else, you will need to restart the whole process and dog will become confused.