All of one’s earthly possessions are packed into a large truck, the family SUV is full, and a friend is following behind, as the move begins. The old home awaits new tenants, and the new abode is ready for the arrival of the new occupants, but before one thinks it is cut and dried, there are some things to remember. Here is a list of essential things to keep in mind.
- Make sure you have enough money to pay the removal guys, plus a generous tip, as they will have worked hard to ensure the items arrive in good shape and no damage is done to either property.
- A new set of keys with a security code for any keypad entry system is a must, otherwise the whole operation will grind to a halt.
- A floorplan of the new home is vital if one wants the removers to unload the contents and put them in the right rooms. As the occupant, one should be clear in directions and the workers will find it much easier to complete the task.
- Two or three days before the move, have someone give the new place a spring clean, as one doesn’t want to move into a dirty living space, and often the previous occupants are not so particular about this. If one has no time or inclination to get the mops and buckets out, try www.menbehavinghandy.com.au for a handyman who can have the place spick and span before the day of the move.
- Have the plumbing and electrics inspected prior to arrival, and any repairs can be dealt with easily, as there are no items of furniture or fittings to move. A local renovations and maintenance company could do this without a problem.
- Take a cooler box full of sandwiches and other goodies, as one won’t be able to cook anything at first. Make sure there is sufficient to feed everyone, as they all need to keep their energy levels up.
- Go through the inventory with the removers, ticking off each item as it is found. Make sure nothing is damaged, and if all is present and correct, one can tip the team and let them be on their way. It is often quicker to put things away without their help, as they would not know your desired locations, and besides, they have had a very long day as it is. One could always hire a handyman if physical exertion is an issue.
- Hopefully, all the boxes will be clearly labelled, and one will have no problems finding the right rooms. Failure to do this can cause confusion when unpacking, as box after box must be opened to see what’s inside.
- Send the kids off to a relatives for the weekend, as things will go a lot smoother if one doesn’t have to monitor their activities. They will see the new home soon enough, and besides, they will enjoy staying with the grandparents for a few days.
- Try to arrange the move on a weekend, as this is often cheaper, and the kids will not be at school, also one’s own work will not suffer.
Hopefully the move will be a smooth one, and by following the above pointers, one should enjoy the experience.