This attractive Oakland brown-shingle is more than just a pretty facade with original period detailing. In 2003, a series of improvements and enhancements began. Outside, the shingle siding was replaced and the exterior repainted. The yard had a face lift, with a new redwood deck for outdoor dining, a redwood fence in the backyard, and fresh landscaping in both the front and rear yards (including soil amendment, irrigation, tree removal, drainage, automatic watering and sprinklers) A charming flagstone rear patio and front steps were also added. Inside, the hardwood floors were refinished, the fireplace was repaired and the chimney repaired and reinforced. A brand new tile floor was installed in the upstairs bathroom, and in the dining room the wainscotting was refinished. Last but not least, the old knob & tube fuse box was replaced.
As you can see, the changes are not just cosmetic; especially in the basement. It was seismically retrofitted, the foundation repaired, and the retaining wall replaced. Insulation was blown into all exterior walls and into the (10 foot!) ceiling. The old water heater was replaced with a tankless, the furnace was replaced and heating ducts were redirected.
- located 545 Jean Street, Oakland CA [map]
- 3 bedrooms, incl. large master with 2 closets; 1.5 baths
- large kitchen with new appliances
- near Piedmont, Grand and Lakeshore avenues and related shops & restaurants
- big basement & room for expansion
- huge lot, lovely backyard, lower terrance & firepit; driveway with room for 2 cars
- contact Eric Wong at Windermere Real Estate with questions